Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Is Creativity all Conscious Behaviour?


Watching the incredibly talented Ennio Marchetto perform last night got me thinking. Why does the show work so well? Ingenious paper costumes; a twist of the unexpected; great juxtapositioning of contradictory characters; and his own extremely funny facial expressions. But then it also struck me, how accurately he captured the mannerisms of the various personalities he portrayed.
Mannerism are the unique little gestures and movements we make that set us apart from those around us, and often instantaneously recognisable. They are ingrained into our subconscious and we rarely realize we're doing them.
Which then begs the question - Is creativity all conscious behaviour? (Deliberate thought process and some sort of manifestation, born out of inspiration).

2 comments:

Mitesh said...

I would think that the acknowledgment of the creativity is the conscious, with the unconscious linking it all together. It is the moment we say "I'm not sure why, but it just looks/feels right"

Rudo said...

I think that creativity is not conscious behaviour because if it was then it would seize to be creativity. I think something done with a conscious effort then starts to follow structure and my experience is that structure kills the creativity process. So my suggestion is that for creativity to thrive, an enabling environment should be created.