Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Creativity is in the eye of the beholder.

When many people are asked what is creativity, the answer usually involves a reference to the arts, including literature, music, painting and cooking. I believe that creativity is in everything around us and that in order to identify the creativity we need to adapt our thinking and increase our knowledge to identify the creativity at work. Coming from an IT background, I have witnessed many solutions to IT problems that I have thought are truly creative and amazing. It is my knowledge of IT that allows me to accept the intricacies and genius way that the solution was obtained.


When I look at a painting (particularly modern art) my feeling is often one of “is that supposed to be good?” or “I drew better than that in Sub B (grade 2)” When we have listened to poetry some of us can relate and fully comprehend the meaning behind the words, I often relate it to a very descriptive essay. I used to think that there was something wrong with me, but now I believe that it rather my ignorance in certain fields that prevent me from realising and appreciating the creativity.

1 comment:

CorniM said...

AMEN! Could not agree more.
By allowing ourselves the opportunity to be exposed to things outside of our normal, everyday life, can be hugely rewarding. The challenge is to not view things from our frame or reference, but rather objectively for what it is. What does it say about the person who created it and what can I learn from it.