Thursday, November 1, 2007

Personal Account of a Creative Cooking Experience


Curiosity and trepidation filled me as I partook in a creative cooking experience, hosted by Corni and directed by Chef Brett. What was going to happen? How could one become creative in the kitchen? I started getting flashbacks to my “creative experiments” that has made my girlfriend vow to never eat anything I cooked. So I made a promise, come what may, I will try anything! I will relax and feel and live the creative process.

The Journey

The Initial Disarray

The Chef was unusually nervous as he did not exactly know what to deliver but once he donned that apron and had a few slugs of beer, he was master of the deck. The host was also concerned that everything was neat and that everyone had a drink and some snacks. The group was also very disintegrated with some buried in their laptops, others inspecting the home while others were fascinated with the Black Olive and Balsamic Vinegar crisps!

Coming Together

The chef then took control by discussing his personal interpretation of creativity, emotion and cooking. At this point there was a slow migration of people to the counter. Thereafter he demonstrated the preparation of dish called “Melanzano” The group was now focused on the preparation of this dish and easily volunteered for each task in this cooking process. . The chef did not provide specific instructions but vague guidelines. Afterall, this was a creative experience so the details were left up to the person preparing the dish! This was a personal learning point, as the dish represented my personal interpretation and expression of the receipe.

The Masterpiece

As the favours began to pervade the home, my tastebuds began to water. I knew that we had done well. The starters consisted of asparagus, sometime I avoid however remembering my earlier promise, I partook in this dish. I must say that there were not as half bad as I would have imagined. The main courses were all delicious and the chef was full of praise for group.

Reflection

During this creative process, I experienced a roller coaster of feelings including curiosity, concern, frustration, dismay, relaxation, enjoyment and finally pure satisfaction. I believe that one must experience feelings of opposite polarity to understand the creative process. In addition, one must be prepared to take risks and venture into the unknown!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The account is so well written. It certainly shows the creative exploration in this event. I can almost feel the vibe and identify with the experience. Cooking has been a creative process since the begining of civilisation and has its roots in passion. Does passion therefore drive creativity and expression? This is almost 100% certain. Where some might have previously thought that cooking was not a fully creative arena - this account would most certainly show just how much it is..